A dear friend lost her darling dog yesterday, far too soon, and I have been contemplating the topic of our love affair with dogs. They've been at our side for at least the last 15,000 years, hunting, working, herding, chasing, and playing by our sides. More than the sum of their utilitarian functions, though, they have developed into our stalwart companions that we lean on through thick and thin. They give us unconditional love so unselfishly, so lavishly, that it's no wonder that there is a bumper sticker with the saying, 'I hope to become the kind of person my dog thinks I am'. Because they love us so well, we love them right back, ever fiercer. And when they leave us, it is always too soon. Our hearts are broken. No other animal on Earth has such a bond with Man. We are so fortunate to share our lives with these wonderful creatures. The love of, and for, the Dog is Timeless.

Smiling through tears. Thank you friend.
ReplyDelete